Τwo-year postdoctoral position in Εconomic history, Laboratory for the Economics of Africa's Past (LEAP), Department of Economics, Stellenbosch University, South Africa02-11-2023 11:54
The Laboratory for the Economics of Africa's Past (LEAP) and the Department of Economics at Stellenbosch University in South Africa invite applications for a two-year postdoctoral position in economic history.
Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence, possess a robust research trajectory, and have the aptitude to publish in top-tier economic history journals. The primary role of the postdoc will be to undertake research in the realm of economic history, with a preference for research centred on African economic history, though this is not a strict requirement.
The successful candidate will join LEAP and contribute to the newly established Chair in Economics, History and Policy, including organising a seminar series and workshops. We strongly encourage candidates with an interest in research communication to apply. The candidate is not expected to teach undergraduate or graduate courses.
• Applicants must hold a PhD degree in economics or economic history. Applicants must have graduated within the last five years.
• Applicants must have a strong interest in (African) economic history. An interest in research dissemination and communication would be an added advantage.
• Skills such as data management, historical GIS, R visualisation or OCR transcription would be an added advantage.
• Two-year fixed term, subject to the availability of funds and satisfactory academic progress.
• Starting from March 2024 (the starting date is flexible).
• Fellowship value: R400 000.
• Please note that postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees, and their fellowships are awarded tax-free. Although they are therefore not eligible for employee benefits. The University reserves the right NOT to make an appointment if suitable candidates do not apply.
Interested candidates are invited to apply online (via https://econjobmarket.org/): including CV, proof of qualification, cover letter, a job market paper, and three letters of reference (including your supervisor's). For more information on the position, please contact Prof Johan Fourie (johanf[at]sun.ac.za).
The closing date is Jan 15, 2024, but will be accepted until the position is filled.